Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Almond Latte



Based on where we are (we are in the Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs area), I definitely remember the first time that I came here. It was years ago now and it was really exciting. I was a senior in high school and I’d heard of the area. I mean, like, this is Dallas, Texas; I didn’t know there was a “gay” area in Dallas, but I’d heard of the area.
So, my first date was with this guy, and we decided to come to this area. I think, actually, we came to this place, because we came to eat. I don’t remember how that went, but I remember we left and just started walking around. I mean, I’m looking at the sidewalks right now where we walked and like, it was one of our first dates and we weren’t holding and but I actually felt like, “Oh my gosh, I could hold somebody’s hand here.” It was really cool.
     There’s a neighboring business building, next to the area. So, for some reason, we leave this magical place of rainbow flags and pride and go to this business building. They have a pretty courtyard.
He was really shy. He wasn’t really talkative or responsive. I was doing most of the talking. I started jumping around on the fountains and trying to splash him and being playful. Getting this cute guy out of his shell. So, that was a very fond memory. I think we took several photos and did a little photo shoot.

So literally every time I come here I think about just walking the sidewalks and how much fun it is just to be in the area. Despite being in Texas, a very red state, I have found a blue, liberal city. And I have found the most liberal street of them all. It serves coffee and pancakes and happiness.


-Trent, Cafe Brazil

No comments:

Post a Comment