Sunday, April 20, 2014

Iced Coffee with 1 Sugar in the Raw and Skim Milk


I guess the memory I wanted to go with was the first time I went to an art festival with my mom. Ever since I was really, really young, I guess before I can ever remember an exact age, she had been encouraging me to do art. I was always interested in drawing, but she really gave the materials, the guidance, and the encouragement to do that.
I was eleven years old. It was the same year that my parents got divorced. Right after they told us that that was going to happen, she decided to take me to the Bayou City Art Festival in downtown Houston. It was in Memorial Park that year. Just this nice, beautiful, old, green park just like some of the ones we have in Dallas. So we went there and I wasn’t really sure what it was going to be like at first, because I had never been to any sort of festival like that before. But it was really, really fun. And it was really, really nice to see those people there for the same reasons. I mean it was just rows and rows of different artists’ booths. And they were there just kind of sharing the things they loved, and trying to make some money off of it. It was just really nice to see all the different kind of art there.
That was the first time I realized that the stuff I was doing when I was a kid, the things that I was making, and the stuff, these accomplished artists, were making, there was a connection there. They started off where I was. It was just really nice to see.
I haven’t kept up with art since then, which is fine. But that was a defining moment for me when my mom kind of opened up that whole world of art to me and I really appreciate that.

-James, The Pearl Cup


No comments:

Post a Comment