Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mango Iced Tea with 1 Sweet'N'Low


     I can’t remember what grade I was in. I was in elementary school - below forth grade, I know that. I wannna say it was third grade.
We used to carpool with our neighbors to St. Thomas, which was like three minutes away driving. So, the Valeks picked me up in the mornings and my dad would ride his bike to work those mornings. Almost every time the Valeks took us, my dad would race us to school. Usually, we would beat him every time, because obviously we were in a car and he was on a bike.
But, one time, we raced to school. He said he was very reckless and rode through stop signs. But, one time he beat us there. He told me, before we left the house, that he wanted me to wait if we beat him there. So, we beat him and I remember coming home that night and he said that he had waited for me at the school and I had totally forgotten. I guess he was just sitting in front of the school, with his bike, waiting for us to come piling out of the car and we never did, because I guess we were already inside or something.
That night when he told me, I was really upset, but I didn’t want him to know I was upset. So, after he told me he had been waiting for me and I didn’t show up, I sat in the kitchen and cried. I was so sad because I had left him there all alone. To this day, I don’t think he knows that I cried after he told me, after he told me that I left him there alone. But, that will haunt me for the rest of my life, I swear. I still feel so guilty thinking about it. So, I guess this is my apology to my father for leaving him.



-Sophie, Legal Grounds

No comments:

Post a Comment