Sunday, March 30, 2014

Passion Tea Lemonade



     My memory is pretty recent, but it’s something that’s been on my mind a lot. I’ve got this big bandage on my hand and it’s from soccer on Wednesday. I’ve been trying really hard to get the position of goalie on my team and be accepted, because I was told things like, “Women can’t be goalies,” and “You’re too fragile to be a goalie.”
In our first game of the season, I end up almost breaking my finger. It’s actually severely sprained. It happened when somebody tried to head the ball into the goal and they headed my head instead. So, really hoping they let me stay on as goalie.
     I’ve always had that problem. I used to do MMA [Mixed Martial Arts], and I got comments like that all the time. You know, like, “Why don’t you stay home and bake cookies?” or, “Bet you wish you had stayed in the kitchen.” You know, after losing a match in practice there would be these awful, misogynistic comments.
You know, now I am actually out of MMA because of injuries. I tore my ACL. I tore my meniscus. But each time I returned, and now I’m out permanently.
It always happens. Women face comments like that all the time. I thought I would be done with that when I left MMA, but even with intramural soccer, it’s alive. So, hopefully I’ll be back to being goalie next week, and for now, I get to walk around with this club-like bandage.



-Hannah, UTD Pub

No comments:

Post a Comment